Every sailor that dreams of going offshore has read stories of those that have gone before them. Some, like those about the voyages of Eric and Susan Hiscock, two of the earliest civilian ocean-going sailors, were truly ground-breaking. And others, by authors such as Vito Dumas and John Guzwell, are classics of seagoing literature.
We have collected our list of essential books for the offshore sailor. These are the stories that we think will endow the offshore sailor with the knowledge and the lessons necessary to face the sea with confidence.
What are yours?
- Venturesome Voyages of Captain Voss Captain J.C. Voss
- Wandering Under Sail Eric Hiscock
- Cruising Under Sail Eric Hiscock
- The Logical Route Bernard Moitessier
- The Long Way Bernard Moitessier
- A Sea Vagabond’s World Bernard Moitessier
- Survive the Savage Sea Dougal Robertson
- The Sea is for Sailing Peter Pye
- Alone Through the Roaring Forties Vito Dumas
- My Lively Lady Alec Rose
- Maiden Voyage Tania Aebi
- Dove Robin Lee Graham
- Trekka Around the World John Guzzwell
- Once is Enough Miles and Beryl Smeeton
- A World of My Own Robin Knox-Johnston
- From a Bare Hull Ferenc Mate